Using Characterisation to Support Risk Assessment
SAFENANO offers specialist laboratory services to support the risk assessment of nanomaterials, in the development stage and for regulatory compliance, as well as analysis of samples from routine- / reassurance-monitoring. Our capabilities include:
Characterisation of Bulk Powders and Particles
- Particle Size Distribution (PSD) by laser diffraction, satisying EU nanomaterial definition:
- Dry powder (100 nm – 3500 µm) to ISO 13320:2009;
- Wet dispersion (5 nm – 3500 µm) to ISO 13320:2009 and ISO 14487:2000;
- Calculated Size Weighted Respirable Fraction (SWeRF) analysis, including crystalline silica specific SWeRF in mixtures for CLP;
- Dustiness evaluation to EN 15051-2;
- Morphology and elemental sample analysis (SEM/EDXS);
- Chemical analysis, including trace metal content (ICP-AES, SEM/EDXS) and PAH content (GC-MS);
- Dynamic light scatting (DLS) for particle size, zeta-potential and molecular weight analysis;
- Elemental Carbon determination (NIOSH 5040) for carbon-based nanomaterials;
- Moisture determination to EN 15051-1;
- Bulk density determination to EN 15051-1;
- Bio-durability assessment;
- Particle density by helium pycnometry;
- Other specialist characterisation (e.g. TEM, BET, FT-IR, XPS, SIMS, Raman);
- Aerosolisation and size-fractionation for the characterisation of respirable particles based on aerodynamic size.
Laboratory-generated Aerosol Characterisation
- Size-fractionation and PSD characterisation of respirable aerosol with state-of-the-art instrumentation (5 nm – 20 µm);
- Real-time direct reading analysis (FMPS, Dust-Trak, APS);
- Size-fractionated sampling (Nano-ID, respirable cyclone, inhalable head);
- Collection and analysis of the respirable fraction:
- PSD (number, volume) by laser diffraction (for comparison to bulk);
- Morphology and qualitative chemical composition (SEM/EDXS);
- Quantitative chemical analysis (ICP);
- Gravimetric analysis;
- Mapping aerodynamic to physical size;
- Sample collection for inhalation-based toxicity assessment, provided with the aforementioned characterisation data.
SAFENANO has the capability to simulate and characterise common handling processes under controlled conditions.
We also undertake bespoke method development for providing characterisation data to support safety data sheets (SDSs), product validation, and regulatory compliance in the absence of established methods.
For further information and enquiries, email or contact the Safenano Services team.