Hazard data needs for addressing nanomaterial risks
This study, funded by the UK Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) in 2005, aimed to address:
- Methodologies for examining the toxicology, ecotoxicology, persistence and bioaccumulation potential of manufactured unfixed nanoparticles (NP) and nanotubes (NT);
- Differences in hazard posed by variations in NP size and chemical composition;
- Mechanisms of interaction of NP/NT with cells and tissues in organisms;
- Epidemiology, with a view to developing guidance for future studies;
- Identification of knowledge gaps and setting of recommendations for future research.