UK standardisation in the emerging field of nanotechnologies is the responsibility of the BSI Technical Committee NTI/1. This technical committee (TC) was established in June 2004 and has the following Terms of Reference:
- to mirror the work of ISO/TC 229 "Nanotechnologies", IEC/TC 113 "Nanotechnology standardisation for electrical and electronic products and systems" and CEN/TC 352 "Nanotechnologies";
- to formulate a UK strategy for standardization in nanotechnologies through a broad consultation with relevant stakeholders;
- to ensure the UK view is given due consideration within the European Union, CEN, ISO and IEC;
- to develop and support formal standards and other standardization documents in the area of nanotechnologies and to promote their use by industry and other stakeholders;
- to ensure due consideration of the need for standards and standardization is given by UK nanotechnology networks and organisations, and to coordinate activities and actions in this area.
A range of documents have been published by BSI and are available for free download, including:
Terminology, Definitions & Classification
Exposure Assessment & Control
Safety & Risk Management Practices
Further documents are under development, which will be published on the BSI website
in due course.