SAFENANO's skills and expertise
SAFENANO brings together multidisciplinary expertise in hazard assessment, exposure, toxicology, occupational hygiene and risk assessment for nanomaterials and nanotechnology. SAFENANO facilitates the responsible development of safe nanomaterials by making use of an integrated approach, combining focussed research, review activities, expert opinion and applied EHS workpackages.
Our research work spans all life cycle stages from manufacture through to consumer use and disposal, assessment of hazards using in vitro techniques, and the regulation of nanomaterials. Our work includes:
- Reviews and interpretation of existing knowledge
- Strategic advice to government and industry
- Prioritisation of research needs
- Study design and interpretation
- Fundamental research on the mechanisms of disease
- Development of toxicity study protocols
- Benchmark in vitro toxicity testing of nanomaterials
- Measurement of worker exposure to nanomaterials
- Investigation of consumer exposure to nanomaterials
- Development and implementation of good practice
- Standardisation and development of guidance
SAFENANO's scientists are members of, or have given evidence to, many of the key national and international committees concerned with nanoparticle risks including the NanoSafety Cluster, SCENIHR, OECD Working Party on Manufactured Nanomaterials, ISO TC229 (Nanotechnologies), NIOSH, the European Commission, BSI NTI/1, and formerly RS/RAEng Working Group on Nanoscience and Nanotechnologies and the UK’s NRGC task forces.